THIS MONTH, MAKE SOMETHING…
Make Christmas Gingerbread
1. You will need…
340g/12oz plain flour
12.5ml/2.5 tsp ground ginger
5ml/1tsp bicarbonate of soda
170g/6oz soft brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
60ml/4tbsp golden syrup
Currants and/or icing & sprinkles
A warm oven
A shape or two.
(Makes 10-20 depending on size)
2. Six simple steps…
1. Preheat the oven to 190C.
2. Mix the ginger and bicarbonate of soda with the flour and rub it together with butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix in the sugar & beaten egg. Warm the syrup till runny (this is easiest and least messy done in the microwave but be careful not to overheat it) and add it, bit by bit, to the mix – just until it becomes a soft dough (you may not need it all). Knead the dough until smooth.
3.Roll out the dough to about 4mm thick & cut using cookie cutters.
4. Bake on a greased baking sheet in the oven at 190C until browned. If you want them crispy, you may leave them a bit longer until it’s a mid-brown, or if you prefer them more chewy take them out when they are just a very light golden brown. Typically this will take around 10-15 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of your cookies.
5. Remove from the baking sheet once cooled. Decorate with icing or sprinkles. Allow the icing to dry completely before you move them or pack them up.
6. Wrap them up and give them away…
Download the recipe
With thanks to the Parkholme Supper Club, in aid of MSF/Doctors Without Borders: www.parkholmesupperclub.co.uk donations: www.justgiving.com/parkholmesupperclub facebook: www.facebook.com/parkholmesupperclub twitter: @parksupclub